How the orthopaedic specialists in Manassas and Haymarket, VA, can help you feel better
Shin splints is an acutely uncomfortable condition that can impede you from going about your daily life. Fortunately, the doctors here at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists can help you feel better. With two convenient office locations in Manassas and Haymarket, VA, we can help you recover!
More about shin splints
Also known as medial tibial stress syndrome, shin splints cause pain along your tibia (i.e. the large bone in the front of your leg). Generally caused by overstressing your muscles, tendons, and bones, shin splints cause sharp pain, muscle soreness, and swelling along your lower leg.
If you have begun to run or jog for a longer period of time, or for a farther distance, you are at risk of developing shin splints. On that note, if you have increased your amount of exercise in general and are stressing your legs, shin splints are always a risk.
Fortunately, you can do a lot to prevent shin splints. According to the Mayo Clinic, remember to:
- Always wear the appropriate footwear for the activity you are participating in
- For running, switch out your shoes every 350 to 500 miles
- Wear arch supports if you have fallen arches
- Try lower impact sports like biking, walking, or swimming
- Increase your exercise intensity gradually, not suddenly
- Strengthen your legs with leg presses and other exercises
- Do leg stretches before exercising, running, or jogging
You can also get some relief from shin splints by applying ice packs on the problem areas for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, four to eight times each day. You can also try over-the-counter pain relievers like Tylenol or ibuprofen.
Need relief? Give us a call!
If shin splints are affecting your enjoyment of life, it’s time to seek out an expert. It’s time to call the doctors at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists, with offices in Manassas and Haymarket, VA. Dial (703) 369-9070 today and get relief from shin splints fast!