If you have recently experienced a car accident, you need to be on the lookout for whiplash. An unfortunately common problem caused by a tremendous force of impact, whiplash can cause immense strain on your muscles, tendon, and ligaments. Fortunately, the doctors here at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists in Manassas and Haymarket, VA, are here to help!
Do you have whiplash?
Following an episode of physical trauma, the signs and symptoms of whiplash may take up to 24 hours to develop, and they may include:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Neck pain that increases with movement
- Headaches at the base of your skull
- Increasing pain in your upper back, shoulders, and arms
- Numbness and tingling in your arms
- Fatigue or dizziness
- Blurred vision or tinnitus
- Difficulty sleeping or concentrating
If you notice any of the signs and symptoms listed above, there are a few simple home remedies that you can try for temporary relief until you can visit one of our offices. Consider:
- Placing ice or heat on your neck
- Resting for a few days
- Taking Tylenol or ibuprofen
- Doing gentle neck stretches
If you are suffering from severe whiplash symptoms, it’s best to seek immediate help from the experts here at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists. Your doctors may recommend:
- Immobilization, using a neck collar or other device to stabilize your neck
- Medications, including muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories
- Chiropractic care, including therapeutic massage or other therapy
- Injections with numbing agents including novocaine
- Physical therapy, including treatments to increase range-of-motion
- Surgical therapy may be recommended for symptoms that don’t respond to conventional therapies.
Concerned? Give us a call
If you are suffering from whiplash, you can find relief from your painful symptoms. Call the doctors here at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists today!